The real reason why 'Top Gun: Maverick' has not called the original actresses

Tom Cruise will be reunited with his Ray-Bans, but not with Kelly McGillis or Meg Ryan. 

For eighties movie fans, the words "Top Gun" evoke Tom Cruise posing with Ray-Ban Wayfarer and an F-14 Tomcat while Take My Breath Away plays. But also, and no less powerfully, Kelly McGillis losing her oremus for that wayward aviator, and Meg Ryan exclaiming "Goose, my colt, take me to bed or lose me forever!".

tom cruise

However, in Top Gun: Maverick we will see Cruise and Val Kilmer again... but not the two actresses from the original film. Something that director Joseph Kosinski has explained (or so) in an interview with Insider (via IndieWire ).

"We didn't take those stories into account," says the filmmaker. "I didn't want all the story lines to look backwards. It was important to introduce a few new characters."

Kosinski's explanations can slip...until we remember that one of the new characters, Rooster (Miles Teller) is the posthumous son of Goose (Anthony Edwards) and Carole, Ryan's character. And since Goose's death was the dramatic climax of the original film, one wonders if Maverick might not have things to talk to the widow about.

Although Meg Ryan has not spoken about it, Kelly McGillis did talk about it in 2019. "I'm old, I'm fat and I look my age. And that's not what's in this scene," the actress quipped on the show. Entertainment Tonight.

Instead of McGillis, Cruise's romantic interest in the film will be the character played by Jennifer Connelly. Which, at least, [only takes eight years of difference with the actor.

Pratibha Mod

Blogger, Teacher, Mother and I love to share the tips, quotes whatever interesting I come Through.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

POST ADS1

POST ADS 2